The testing that we did earlier paid off. We had a nicely working prototype with a couple of collectors. That wasn’t enough, so we built a 10-collector array on some welded scaffolding. Our problem is that we have a historic, listed building and it’s impossible to use the roof here.

So the collectors are some distance (30 meters) from the house.

In spite of this, the performance is good. We’ve got 2000 litres of clear water as storage, in insulated tanks and this provides hot water for the house through a simple stainless corrugated heat exchanger.

The system will go through extensive testing over the winter and you can see daily graphs of its performance here.

Categories: Development